The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Looking into possible using geothermal HVAC in our planned Log home. Anyone have any experience with these systems?

Views: 358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anthony: We have built our log home over the last year. I decided to go with geothermal since we did not have natural gas available. I might have done so even if I had had natural gas due to the uncertainty of gas prices. We had to dig a water well any how so I went with what is called a pump and dump system. It pumps the water from the well, goes through the system and then mine dumps into our 1 acre pond. The systems are super efficient but do cost more for the inital instalation. The are supposed to pay back the extra cost in 3 to 6 years depending upon your electric rates. We live in Kentucky and have some of the cheapest electric rates in the country, but I still feel it will pay itself back in a few years. Our house is 2,000 sq feet upstairs and 2,000 sq feet down stairs. My bill this month (July - August) is $179. Of course it is impossible to say how much of that is for the cooling/heating system vs other uses.

If you have to put in a water well anyhow, I highly recommend you consider the geothermal system. If not you have to weigh the upfront cost vs your other options. I can say for sure that our system has kept our house warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
I have been looking into it some and sure would like to go with it when I build if possible. From what I have read its the most environmental system you can install with little matenience and no outside unit. Quiet ,kind of like a refridgerator except for a blower if you go that route. I have enough ground to be able to put in a closed loop field system. They bury the tubing about 6' deep for this area. If you put it in with your house loan, buildling a new house, it supposedly will save you more in heating and A/C savings per month than the extra cost of the monthly payments added in the loan for it. We have 2 local companies selling the Water Furnace which looks like a good one.
Thanks Kevin and Glenn for this insight. I really do feel it is the best way to go. It might take us a bit longer to recoup the additional instalation costs because it will be a weekend home mostly.

Kevin did your builder install the system or did you have an "expert" install it?
I had a heating and air company do the installation. One thing I didn't mention, if you have a basement consider getting a split system so that you can control the upstairs with a different thermostate than the one in the basement.
I have geothermal in the first log home I built. It is an open loop system and I have a 6x8 "D" log and it is extremely efficient. Probably my biggest regret on my second log home is that I didn't have enough money to do it again. It costs substantially more than a conventional forced air system but in my mind and experience, it is worth every penny.
Maybe Kevin or Joy can answer this but I believe that geothermal is not a fast recovery system. So if you turn the heat down when not there it may take some time before it heats the home up. Of course if you have a fireplace that would help. There are very efficient furnaces out now with quick recovery. I don't know your location as to how cold it gets where you wish to build. May be a good idea to talk to an expert on HVAC to see which would be a best option.
Not sure yet on the quick recovery on the heat. We had a mild winter lasst year. I can say it kept us warm though. I did put in a vent free propane gas log fire place. I plan to use it if the power goes out.

I have been told that there are some very efficient electric furnaces out now. The main reason I went with the geothermal is due to how efficient they are and due to the fact I was having to dig a water well any how.
I have 2 questions for people knowledgeable in this area.
One: Can you install the coils of piping in the excavation area surrounding the basement versus digging a separate trench for this method?

Two: For those using the cooler water in the floor pipes to cool down the house in summer, do you get any "sweating" on the floor surface. I have seen this happen here in Florida when the hot air hits chilled marble floors.

If anyone is dealing with a supplier please ask and get back to me for storage in my log home dream file.

Thanks,
Joe
Interesting about the recovery time- I had not heard that yet. We are building in upsate NY so it does get quite chilly in the winter. We will certainly have a fire place insert and perhaps a pellet stove as well.

We have only looked at the websites of system manufacturers we need to get to fine point discussions with a HVAC expert that know these systems.
Anthony,

We installed a horizontal closed loop system. We heat and cool 3,400 feet between 3 levels. Only a couple times a year when the temps dip down below 0, does my system have trouble providing enough heat. Cooling has never been less than expected. On the really cold days, I fire up the wood stove in the basement, and that keeps us in the low to mid 70's.
Our system is a 5 ton unit and we have 3,600 feet of coil buried in 2- 8' deep trenches 300 feet long. Our system only requires 3,000 feet, but the installer said it is senseless not to add another loop in the space available to increase effeciency.

I am satisfied with our system. It comes on and blows warm air much like the gas unit from our former home. I notice very little difference if any at all. It has electric strips for instant heat on high demand, but they really make the meter spin, so I keep those 240v breakers turned off. Ocaisionally I will turn them on to make sure they are operational. Total HVAC installation was about 14K. It is a Carrier system. The cost included installing the coils in the ground.

Kevin.
Attachments:
Kevin - so then if you live in an area that gets well below freezing for many days during the winter - would this type of a system be a problem? D
D,

No not below freezing, I was referring to days when it was below zero! Single didgits even did ok, but below 0 seems to be the threshhold. What I mean by that is, your geothermal system should have a back-up heat source. I think many HVAC professionals will recomend such.

Kevin F.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service