The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Welcome to The Log Home Neighborhood! We're glad you stopped by.

Feel free to introduce yourself here, or, create a profile and start uploading photos and videos, start blogging, join groups and take advantage of all the best resources the The Log Home Neighborhood has to offer.

Oh, and by the way, I'm the Neighborhood Host - so let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns and I'll be more than happy to accommodate you!

Views: 6673

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stacking the logs themselves.

there are many classes you can take but best way is to talk to supplier and see about finding some elses job that you can go and help for a few days.hands on is the best, what type of logs are they, if they are a square log tongue and grooved, there really not mush to it, just make sure you use pleenty of weather strip between logs, and make sure to seal the butt joints well, every one is different, i like to but the logs together and then drill a 1" hole right down between them and then fill with spray foam. its easy to seal now but once unit is built and you have a problem its hard to repair.

Doug

www.cedar-stuff.com

I was planning on using milled D-Logs.

that type of pog stacks pretty easy, some will run solid walls and mark where screws are and then use chain saw to cut openings, you can also after second and eight coarse or there about drill for wire runs, makes it easier, they might say kiln dried but they will settle ,compress and shrink some so allow plenty of room for windows and door openings, and do not, again do not nail anything solid to the log wall all nails have to have a slip joint just a saw cut to allow the wall to settle with out pulling nail out.

have fun

check out our lodge furniture at www.cedar-stuff.com

Another ideah I had was to use conventional framing and then just use Log Siding and 1x6 T&G for interior. What are your ideas on this as far as cost and ease of building?

is this a vacation home or residence?

Vacation home logs take a while to heat up on a weekend, stick built will heat quicker, logs will retain there heat longer so once unit is warm its easier to keep heated, logs take longer to burn, I sold a product that ws ero wste end matched log siding, check out www.logsiding.com ask for scott and if you deside to buy through him tell him Doug sent ya.

I have built both styles of homes siding and paneling will be higher cost butt easer to maintain, logs will develope checks or cracks, most of the time not a problem, but most log homes do have lots of flies (many places to hide)

But again a log sided home is just that a log sided home made to look like a log home, BUT ITS NOT, really.

The log home is a class in itself, its you coy place to sit back and enjoy as a log home, lots of fun and comfort.

How large of a place are you building, will it have a basement. and a covered porch?(a must for a log home.)

\Doug

I'm just building a small 24x30 cottage I can live in until I'm ready to build a larger loghome in a couple years. I'm planning on building a 2 or 3' crawlspace.
crawl space are you in a cold area, make sure to use 2" foam board and then spray foam the bond andtop of foam board, wow what a difference in heat that will make. ground temp is always about 54 here in northern michigan, just imanged all that free heat in the winters.
I live in Texas. Cold isn't much of an issue...its the heat!

do you get lots of red cedar logs for homes down that way

Hey all! I'm Jerry Smith, and recently, I've been helping some friends of mine setup a website for their log home package business (M & S Log Homes) operating out of Pine Ridge, KY. (If you visit, please realize the site's a work-in-progress.)  In the process of doing the site, I've learned a lot about log homes. There are so many different styles and techniques!

While checking out the site, my wife has picked out her dream home, which happens to be The Spencer  (http://www.mandsloghomes.com/spencer-log-home.html). And for once, I happen to agree with her :) Hopefully, in the next 2-3 years, after she finishes graduate school and lands a better paying job, we'll be able to build it! In the mean time, we'll be visiting this site to get ideas to make our future cabin the home we've always wanted. This site and forum are definitely going to serve as an invaluable resource when we actually start building!

We are Randy and Donna from Huntersville NC, formerly from East Hartland CT. We own a 2.5 acre mountain lot at Grandview Peaks in Nebo NC. We are starting the process of meeting with builders to discuss the floor plan that Donna and I have designed and to get feedback and ballpark estimates as to cost. Then we will have the plans drawn. We are looking to start building around the end of 2012.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service