The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Does any one have any good ideas or know of any good products for cleaning those giant windows. The front of our home is all window & the highest ones are triangle shaped so it's hard to get in those corners w/ a squegee! We just moved in this past winter so I still have alot of construction grime on them. I vaguely remember an advertisement/commercial where you can attach some kind of cleaning gadget to your hose, anyone remember anything like this ? I'd rather not have to rent a man lift or a professional to get the job done. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you thinking of a power washer extension? The first time we ever did our windows was with a ladder - and we'll never do it that way again.

Have you considered renting a power washer? They come in handy, and you can adjust the pressure based on the distance (they have some chart you can refer to with most kits). I'd say it's your best bet if you don't want to hire someone or buy permanent expensive equipment.
Log Homer,
Thankyou for your response...how do you do your windows now & how often? Is there anyway to add a cleaning solution to a power washer or is the water pressure all that is needed to clean the windows? We are loving living in our Log Home, the view out side our big windows is just beautiful and that's the first thing I see every morning as I emerge from our bedroom in the loft.I am truly blessed.
Hey Maryann, Log Homer's advice of using a power washer is right on the money. We have a lot of glass in our home and a power washer does the trick for windows -- and a lot of other chores - such as preparing your logs for restaining (washing the car, cleaning concrete, etc.).

To answer your question, yes, most power washers have the ability to include a number of different solutions for cleaning, degreasing, etc. I bought our unit from Sears and you won't need a top of the line model. One suggestion I would make is to buy an extension hose also. If you need to climb a ladder or reach a 2nd. story, the extension hose will make things much easier.

One final tip... experiment with your power washer before you get it too close to your wood or caulking. These machines produce enough pressure to strip paint and caulking... experiment with the pressure setting on the nozzle and the distance you should hold the nozzle away from the work to avoid scarring or damaging the surfaces.

If you want to see how to use a power washer, here's a quick (unprofessional video) Cleaning / Re-staining Logs.
Thank you so much for your advice. I'm off to the Sears website now to shop for a power washer.
There are other things to consider when using a power washer around your windows and logs, including the pressure, and the tip you choose. You need to be careful of how you apply certain cleaners - even the best aim can get a product on the logs that can disturb the finish. Too much pressure can force water in where you don't want it to go - weather seals are meant to keep out air and rain, not pressurized water.

Once upon a time, Windex made a product that hooked to the garden hose for folks to clean two story windows with. You may even be quite successful with just a garden/yard sprayer attachment to your hose with a mild mixture of dishwashing detergent with a spot free additive that could negate any squeeging all together. It would certainly be an option to try before making an equipment purchase :)

Celeste
Power washing around windows is a wonderful way to end up with water inside your home. (take it from a professional power washing company) You should find a local professional window cleaning company. They don't care how high up they are, and they will be wonderful once they are done. There are water fed extension poles, and cleaning attachments designed for this task if you want to DIY. You might also look up a pro at http://www.iwca.org

Beth
LOL - our solution is very simple. Each spring we hire the local company that does clean up work after fires. They have all the equipment needed for the tall windows inside and outside. We just let 'them" deal with it.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service