The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Simple exterior REDO question. NOT LOOKING FOR THE VERY BEST, BUT SOMETHING THAT IS REASONABLE!
I HAVE A 27 YEAR OLD HAND HEUNED LOG HOME, NEEDS CLEANED/STAINED/SEALED. LOOKING AT OLYMPIC AND CABOT STAIN/SEALER AT LOWES, $150 FOR 5 GAL. SO IS THIS STUFF OK OR CAN I GET SOMETHING BETTER FOR ABOUT THE SAME FUNDS?

GEORGE, THE HOME IS IN NORTH CAROLINA

penick@nettally.com or call 850 264 6658

Views: 1048

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cabot has some reasonable stains for OK prices. They certainly won't be your longest lasting stains, but if proper prep is done, they should do an OK job for you for a few years. Be sure to stay away from anything with waxes in it, as it can interfere with other finishing products you may need to use, in particular caulking for those checks and cracks in the wood.

-- Charis
Thanks. I appreciate your candid answer- the Cabot from Lowes will probably work for me. As you said, it will not last as long, but is there anything you could recommend that would last longer and not be much more than the $150 for 5 gallons? This is only la vacation home and will not be used much in cold weather. How can I tell if the Cabot has wax or not? How do I know where to seal with caulk besides eyesight and should I apply the caulk first?

thanks, george

penick@nettally.com
I'm not much up on prices for anything but Sashco products, which are higher than $150/5 gal. pail. Unfortunately, in the log home stains biz, higher price usually equates to higher quality raw ingredients, which in turn equates to greater longevity. Cabots makes great deck stains; however, what holds up well on a deck doesn't always translate to your vertical walls. So - I'm at a loss as to what to recommend other than consider spending a bit more, if you have it in your budget, to get better raw materials and an overall better product. That said, doing proper prep will take the cheapest stains and give them some more months.

As far whether or not Cabots stains have wax - you'll need to check with them. For the most part, anything that says "penetrating" or "deep penetrating" is suspect, but not always. Just give a call to the 800 number provided on the bucket and they should be able to answer your questions. Caulk after staining so long as the stain is compatible - meaning free of any waxes. Caulk before if your either unsure or if you know there are waxes. And, honestly, if at all possible, stay away from anything with waxes in it if you plan to use caulk because, even if applied before staining, the stain could still cause adhesion problems afterwards.

Yes, eyesight is a good rule of thumb. Any checks that are upward facing and 1/4" wide or larger should be sealed, butt joints should be sealed, around windows, doors, etc. and, if needed, between log courses depending on how tight the seal still is.

Hope that helps! -- Charis

Thanks- I am finally getting to the work.  Cleaned the back of the house today, and it looks OK and is drying faster than I anticipated.  I again have been looking for a reasonable stain and it seems Cabots or OLYMPIC MAXIMUM are my best two choices. I cant seem to get any feedback on these for LOGS. HELP!

George Jun 2011

George,

Listen to Charis. If you want cheap and lower quality go ahead. If you want a better quality product be prepared to pay more now (but almost certainly less over the long term.)

Bob Warren

Khita Log Builders Ltd.

www.khita.com

"cheap is for birds"

Before you start looking at price tags be sure to check coverage rates as well...you would be surprised on how much you would spend on a stain that's so-so, versus a higher quality stain that may cover a larger coverage area.

And yes, preperation is key to longevity, as well as maintenance cleaning at least once a year.

Hope this helps!

You have a 27 year old hand HEWN log home!  Congrats!  Use Permachink Lifeline exterior  GREAT PRODUCT
I work in the southeast Texas area. This environment is supposed to be the worst there is. Its swampy nasty and humid. Its good for business. All my subs from up north say, they have never seen anything so corrosive, the houses rot before you can get them dried in.

I think all the best stains start to fail around 3 years in direct sunlight, without any maintance. Permachink works best for me. The guys that run it, really support me. Even when it costs them. Good company worth the money.

JD

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service