The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Our log cabin is located in Southern Vermont on a lake.  I noticed that the northern exposure side, under the balcony has this dark stain appearing; almost black. Not sure what it is.  Would anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this? will it hurt the logs? I've tried bleach but it does not appear to have any effect! help.........please

Views: 15027

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Kevin, I'm going to email you some photo's shortly and I appreciate your help,

John

John - 

Without pics, couldn't tell you for sure, but my guess is you either have some blue stain or some tannin bleed, both of which only affect the color of the wood, not the structurability.  The way to get rid of either is different.  Feel free to shoot me some pics at cbabcock@sashco.com and I'd be happy to take a look and give you some recommendations.

Thanks!

- Charis w/ Sashco - www.sashco.com - cbabcock@sashco.com

You can go to www.lovittscoatings.com and purchase a Lovitt's Cleaner & Brightener Kit, costs $45.00 and cleans and restores up to 1000 square feet.  It will clean off the mold and mildew and it will also brighten out the dark stains.  Then re-coat those areas with your brand of wood finish, I would recommend an additive to your wood finish to increase mold protection if compatible, check with manufacturer.

Thank you Michael, I'll look into this!

John

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service