The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

So we are buying a log house and I'd like to have some input on what to do with it. This forum seems to have a great deal of collective wisdom, so please don't hesitate to add your two cents.  A complete album of pictures can be viewed here:  Photobucket Album

The History: The house was built in the 1970s and is located in western New York State. In the last 15 years it has gone through several owners before being foreclosed. It hasn't seen a lot of care in the last 5-10 years. A neighbor told me that he did the staining a while back with some “really expensive stuff” the homeowner provided.

Here is the general progression I was thinking to follow for the exterior:

Step 1) Replace the rotten logs with either the same species or larch. Behind that OSB are a few rotten logs. I think one on the side of the house is rotten the whole way through. The one under the front window will need a partial replacement. Some of the corner stacks have some rot that can be trimmed off.

Step 2) Install sofit and facia to close up all of those openings under the rafters, and possibly extend the roof on the front of the house to provide more protection. I'm leaning towards using rough cut pine for the sofit and facia.  Add a roof vent.

Step 3) Pressure wash the logs.

Step 4) Clean the logs with a sodium percarbonate product. Anyone have a favorite?

Step 5) Clean the the logs with a borate preservative such as “Armor-Guard”

Step 6) Stain the logs. I'd like the Q8 Log oil in a darker color, but I'm open to suggestions.

Step 7) Remove the exterior concrete chinking (or should we do this prior to staining?).

Step 8) Install backer rod and chinking (I think chinking must be 90 days after stain). What chinking have people used with Q8?

Some other questions I had:

-Has anyone ever used Q8 in a situation where there was a small amount of stain already on the logs?

-Does chinking accept stain? If I spray on another coat in several years, will it stain the chinking?

South Side

West Side

North End

East Side

Views: 1416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ray,

A note about the roof and eaves.  About 3-5 years ago the asphalt roof was failing.  It looks like the bank slapped the metal roof on top as quickly and inexpensively as possible.  I suspect that they never even bothered to install soffit or facia.  

I'm pretty sure there is insulation under the asphalt roof.  That said, is it worth (or advisable) insulating between the two roofs?

That brings up the question of ventilation.  How do you vent soffit in a rustic way?  Is there a venting product on the market for that purpose?  Should I even bother to vent if it is a "roof on roof" system.  What will happen if I don't? 

Well, I was envisioning, somebody installed a ventless roof system over top of an existing roof. Meaning there was foam board installed over an existing roof deck. If a bank did it, that is likely not the case. It looks like there are perlins or rafters, or some sort of spacers installed underneath the new metal, and on top of existing shingles or roof deck and the original insulation, providing venting for the new roof. If that is the case, you are good on the venting. I would get it checked out though by a log or timber builder that is familiar with ventless roofs.

Or to ask it a different way. Is the insulation underneath the original roof, or between the old and the new?

Well I may have time to see the home as I live in WNY. If your close enuff I wood like to look at her.I live in 14739 area code. 

Currently away till April..........

Oh! What a description, as it had not gone with a renovation in the last 10 year therefore the renovation cost will be much higher. No, I did not use QB and in my knowledge chinking accepts stains. The cost of your real estate will be beyond your expectation when you will do these above mentioned changes

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service