The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

I live in N. central NH. I visited CLH yesterday and was pretty impressed with their product and staff. My wife and I are considering buying one of their packages. I wonder if anyone has been living in one of their homes for more than a few years. I am curious as to how energy efficient they are and if there are any problems with air infiltration after the home has settled.

The CLH uses a tongue and grove log, kiln dried to 19% moisture with a foam strip and caulk between each course. Perhaps other companies do something similar. I would love to hear about your experiences living in this type of home.

Thanks,
David

Views: 832

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We're also looking at Coventry, and building in the lakes region NH. I'm sure someone will chime in (as well as other dealers). If you use the search function in the upper right corner you will find a few threads on them. Have fun and good luck.
Jim
All companies that use a D-log use the strip and caulk. It's necessary to keep out air infiltration.

Have you looked at white cedar logs at all? I'm not a big fan of pine. For a little more $, you can upgrade to cedar and have less maintenance.
Randy,
I haven't looked into cedar. Right now I am trying to find out how efficient a well built, log home with quality doors and windows will be. I wonder how it would compare to a similar style post & beam with a SIP envelope.

Jim,
we are looking to build in Campton.

David
David, Timber Framing or post and beam enclosed with SIPS is absolutely the most efficient type of housing as there is 0% air infiltration......You must use a HRV IF the SIPS are installed correctly as there is not enough oxygen for people.
Hey David, my husband and I built a CLH log home kit from pine....we are please at the energy efficiency so far....this has been our first winter. Wood stove in walk out basement and small wood stove in main floor allow us to heat house up to 70+ degrees w/ out turning on the electric baseboard. We took their standard windows. Kit we bought had been milled 1 year before we took delivery(client backed out of taking delivery). We modified a few inside things and changed a window to a door to create a mudroom out of a back bedroom. Key dislike is how they stacked/organized logs on pallets and quality of the interior toungue and groove. Liked them as a company, trusted them price was great and they were amenable to any upgrades or changes we requested. If you want to hear more let me know and I can go into details and give you some "don't do this because we learned the hard way" One product I would say change is the caulk...I didn't like it....my husband did.....it is gooey and I think there is better product out there....
diane
Diane, Thanks for the response! Which kit did you build? Where did you build? How much wood have you burned this winter so far? We are looking at the Cheyenne on a full walk-out, ICF foundation. I would like to try to build it myself, but my wife has reservations.I would love to hear your experiences building the home, especially the dos and don'ts. If you would prefer to send me an email, it's dllabrie@gmail.com

David
Hi again, sorry for delayed response, was working in NYC and got caught in snow storm, delayed my entire project.

We built in Maine, the Riverside, which is like the Oakridge but 2' smaller all around. We've burned about 3 cord(?) weekends and a few weeks of vacation. My husband has spent most of the winter skiing vs. working! Will email you details to above address.
diane
Did you ever build the Cheyenne?  I have looked at the model Coventry has on its Virtual Tour, but it is heavily modified.  I was wondering if you have built one whether you found it to be a good choice.
We built a CLH in 2008/2009, I can speak to the fact that they are pretty tight.  It also has a ton to do with how well the kit is installed and finished.  We finished our own kit and where I made mistakes, I had to go back and redo a couple sections (no big deal) and now we get comments on how tight it is.
Finishing our Coventry log home now. Can you fill me in on what you had to redo? i am in charge of sanding..poly..inside and cleaning...and staining the outside. i am still sanding.

Victoria – Good luck with the sanding…….I can still feel the vibes and still feel the dust on my hands………….I can appreciate your effort.

As far as some of the areas we had to revisit:

I failed to fully seal one section around the top log/roof join and we had a draft and small water infiltration during a wind driven storm.  I pulled the trim and resealed the interior and exterior to solve the problem.

Caulking and properly sealing the joint between the last log row on the bottom and the log siding piece just above the deck.  Everything was flashed below correctly however during the same storm we had water into our basement that came in behind that log siding, since you can’t flash a solid log, there is always a seam there (where the last log meets the log siding) and it needs to be well sealed and monitored over the years.

Seal the crap out of any and all window boxes………I’m talking about the junction between the 2x framing lumber and the log cut outs for the window as well as the window trim.  The logs will not provide for a consistent flat joint around all windows so this needs to be done well.

Take the time to properly seal all the seams around the exterior of the house.  You’ll be thankful later.

Whatever product you use for the exterior, follow the manufacturer’s directions for proper surface prep. We used Perma-Chink and used their log wash with good results.  Also, we have used their check sealing system as over a couple seasons the logs can and will develop checks etc.  The upward facings ones are the ones we sealed as water and snow will settle in them…..that’s no good.

Interior, don’t be alarmed if seams that were tight in the ceiling, walls etc. open up during the winter heating season, the wood breaths with the moisture of the house no matter what product you put on it.  I sat back last winter and had a WTF moment when I looked up.  “I know we had those seams tighter than that”……..then come June or July I looked up again….”well that looks better”….

Those are the things I can remember off the top of my head.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service