The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Our  log home is our second residence and so, sadly, we are away from it more than we are in it.   The cabin is located in NE Pennsylvania, so it gets coooold in the winter.  So far, we've been keeping the heat at a temp that will make sure the plumbing doesn't freeze - about 48 degrees.  But I just spoke to someone who said that we should be keeping our cabin much warmer because of potential expansion/contraction of the logs. 

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts about this?  I'm concerned that we could be making a big mistake ...  Thank you!!

Views: 2291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've checked out the webpage.... It looks pretty complicated at first glance, but I also think it seems like a great solution.  Thank you for sharing!  I'm going to discuss this with the hubby and maybe we'll give them a call.   

I have installed two ecobee thermostats and can access them from my smartphone or computer.  Incredible devices and no need to pay a company for a subscription.  We have radiant floor heating, so we typically leave our house around 55 and turn it up a few degrees before we arrive.  Luckily we have a great passive solar setup, so our heat rarely runs during the day.

Wow!  It sounds like you have a super "green" house!    :D

Pretty impressive construction.  We did 8" logs on the first floor and stick built the 2nd.  Used spray foam insulation in all the walls and roof and external insulation under the log veneers.

We're in the process of planning our cabin in SW Wisconsin, which we hope to start next year. There are now a number of wifi-controlled thermostats, including the highly publicized Nest thermostat and the ComfortLink from Trane. These devices a controllable from any smartphone or computer. Of course, you need to have wifi in your cabin,but you may find the cost close to that of a telephone line. In my view, this approach makes a lot of sense for a seldom-visited cabin, as you can add additional devices like video cameras and remotely controlled door locks. Of course, you can also use VOIP technology to connect a phone line via the Internet, eliminating a monthly phone bill.

This may sound daunting if you're a technophobe, but anyone who can set up a computer or a printer can do this sort of stuff.

We have it winterwised...anti freeze for mobile homes and log cabins......they drain the dish washer,water tank,ice maker,(not the fridge) we leave it plugged in....it's a pink solution,so far no problems...and it does get cold in western north carolina.....cost 200.00.....but worth it...and we have the city turn off the water (of course )and they lock the meter...then when we go to the cabin..they come out turn the water on....

ok, all this sounds good for heating your home while you are away but what do you do when the power goes out while you are away. This just happen to us. Went to the cabin last weekend to find everything in the freezer thawed out. If the power had came on before we got there and the food had time to refreeze, we would of never had known and probally gotten sick from eating bad food. :(

Buck

I have a trick for that. I freeze water in a paper cup and then peel the cup off and leave the cup-shaped ice in a Ziploc baggie in the freezer. We also lose electric, though usually for a short period of time. I can decide what to do about the freezer contents based on how melted that ice cup is.

Sharon,

Thanks for the great tip!!! Next time we go to the cabin, I'm taken your advice.

Buck

Sometimes simple & no-tech works great! Enjoy the holidays, Buck!

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service