The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

I just finished cob blasting my house and at this point I'm happy with the result of the fresh surface. The reason for blasting was in hopes of lighting up the color of the logs and have it close to the color it was originally. Now everything Ive read has me concerned that I may have made a mistake and the logs are going to be darker since they will soak up more stain. I already have my stain (Sikkens - Cetol Log & Siding 078 Natural) That's what was originally on it.... Is there any product out there like the Prelude - After Blast that Perma Chink makes that will work well with my stain. I would use the Prelude by Perma Chink but it states for water base products only and my Log & siding is not water based.

Also should I go over the fresh blasted surface with an osborn brush?

Any advise????

Scott

Views: 777

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Scott,

If you are set on using Sikkens finishes then you should stay within their system of products. I would call or email them for some technical advice.

Their phone number is 1-866-SIKKENS, their customer service email is sikkens.nam@akzonobel.com.

It is always best to stay within a manufacturers system of products.

If for some reason they can't help you, you can always return the products and go with another system.

Good luck,

Kevin, Perma-Chink Systems

Sikkens will ALWAYS darken due to the oils resin system. If you don't want it to darken, try the Perma-chink instead. The blast primer (After Blast) is designed to work in just the situation you described.We have worked with both and as professionals prefer the Perma-Chink hands down.

Beth

See Dirt Run Log Home care

Hi Beth,

Just for clarifications sake After Blast has been changed to Prelude Sealer. Same product, new name. You probably know this already but this is for anyone else reading this.

We changed the name because while it used to be primarily used as a primer on porous wood that had been blasted or pressure washed, through further testing we have found that it is a great base coat for our Lifeline Interior topcoats.

When a customer doesn't want to use a finish with a pigment on their interior wood it is acceptable to use Prelude Sealer with one to two coats of Acrylic Gloss or Acrylic Satin. The Prelude Sealer (formally Afterblast) does contain UV-Boost and will help slow down the aging and yellowing.

Prelude Sealer is never recommended on smooth wood, or as an exterior finish by itself. On porous or rough wood on the exterior it must be coated with one of the Lifeline exterior finishes and one to two coats of the Lifeline Advance Gloss or Satin.

Again, I know you know this stuff Beth. This is just for anyone else that might be reading this. Thank you for recommending our products. We appreciate all of the good work that you do out there.

Kevin, Perma-Chink Systems

For informative reasons, to Scott, and any other readers out there...yes, using an Osborn Brush after your home has been media blasted would be beneficial. It would simply reduce the rough texture of your logs, and also remove any feathering that has occurred...however, it will not make the surface smooth again. 

And might I add, just as a precautionary measure, it would be worth it to look into have the surface properly cleaned after it has been media blasted.  Blowing off these particles with high pressure air will not totally remove any remaining media.  If you look closely, you might see some corn cob particles are still embedded in your logs, which can in turn, can now act as a food source to mold if it is not removed prior to staining. The type of cleaning agent can be specified depending on which stain manufacturer you chose. 

Scott - 

Osborn brushing will help the color keep from darkening some, as it closes the pores a bit more.

I will second what Kevin recommended: call Sikkens.  They may have a clear product that is not necessarily "branded" as a pore sealer (aka sanding sealer) but will work like that to help seal the wood pores and give you the results you want.

And for everyone else out there, here are some good color sampling tips:

First, when sampling your stain color (and yes, you should always do a physical sample - don't choose from a color chart), it's best practice to sample your stain on the wood you'll be applying it to, after it has been prepped using the same method you'll use on the home, or at least very close. I always tell people who plan to blast to sand an area down using a 60 grit sandpaper.  That usually gives a pretty good match to blasting.

Then, apply the stain to that wood using the same method you'll be using on the whole home.  So if you plan to spray, spray the sample, and if you plan to brush, brush the sample.  If you plan on spraying, you can get little mini sprayers at most paint stores, or apply 3 heavy coats with a brush - roughly the equivalent to 2 sprayed on coats.

Following good sampling procedures will ensure that you choose the right color from the get go and can skip the added step of applying a sanding sealer before staining.

Hope that helps.  Happy staining!

-- Charis w/ Sashco - www.sashco.com - cbabcock@sashco.com

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service