The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Hi all, we have finally moved into our log home here in NC after nearly 8 months. Still have have a lot of trim and cabinets to finish. Building was a lot of fun and generally progressed smoothly and on time.

I was hesitant to be the GC at first but with a lot of reading I proceeding to tackle it and am really glad I did. Being your own own GC will not only save you money but will ensure you get the quality you want. There are many excellent subs hungry for work presently so finding good people is not the problem it would be for a someone who is not a builder to find good subs.

The question I need help with is how to sell the excess material we have left over. We were initially going to have our home built by a contractor and I did not check the materials he sold us and as a result we have about two pallets of white pine D logs and around 40 4x6's and 6x8's left over. Any ideas where I can sell this lumber?

Thanks everyone and if anyone has any specific questions I can help with please let me know.

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Scotty,
One option you may want to consider is donating your leftover material to a Habitat ReStore, which is an outlet for Habitat for Humanity, a non-profit organization dedicated to building affordable housing for families in need. They accept usable building materials and sell them to the public at a reduced rate, and all profits go toward furthering the mission of Habitat for Humanity. I imagine donations would be tax-deductible as well.

Most states have several ReStores scattered around, and North Carolina has dozens spread across the state. Something to think about as tax season gets underway! Here's their site if you'd like to look into it: http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx.

Good luck!

Danielle

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service