The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Hi again,

Every night before I fall asleep I keep worring about all kinds of log-home stuff. Even if we are in the roofing stage I can't help thinking about stages that are not the next to come.
We are dog breeders and we keep some of them inside. We also keep the puppies inside when we have litters.
The dogs will only stay on the ground floor. So my issue is only about the ground floor.
What kind of floors are pet-proof but also adequate for a log home? We discarded the idea of hardwoord floor (i hope this is the correct term for defining floors made of wood) since we saw what my cousin's German Shepherd did to their floors - the whole surface had deep scratches from the dog's playing and running inside.

We have the option of laminate floors - the people from the home improvement stores said these floors are pretty hard and resist to scratches. In this case we were thinking about a "intense traffic - domestic use" but we are only worried about how they resist at puppy pee in case it may get wet. Of course the pups won't stay right on the floor, they will have a puppy pen set on a sheet of pvc floor that can be easily cleaned and discarded when becoming smelly. This type of floors look well, are not expensive and are easy to install.

The other option are the ceramic tiles, but only for the easy maintanance while having dogs that loose a lot of hair while indoors. Also they are puppy-pee proof for sure. However I'm not happy with the idea since I don't find them appropiate for a log home which are usually cosier when they have wooden floors. Tiles are also colder. There are many types of tiles that look wooden floors.

Can anyone tell me about advantages and disadvantges of these types of floors in a log home? Esthetically but also when it comes about maintance, comfort and lifetime. What kind of floors did you use when keeping pets inside. We will have 3-4 dogs inside, so it will be some traffic. Also when is wet outside they may rush inside wet or muddy.

Thanks! Now is time to rush to bed, past midnight here...

Nighty!

Views: 3853

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi :) I was thinking of slate tiles... They are a stone like tile that would be more cozy in a log home as opposed to ceramic. They do have to be sealed I believe to protect them from moisture, maybe something you should check at the local building supply next time you stop in. Also, a friend of mine has the laminate flooring that looks like wood.. It is very durable, but does have a sort of plastic look about it - I bet it would hold up well to the abuse also if you didn't mind the fact that it wasn't really wood... much luck !
Hello Catrinel,

I'm late to this discussion, but have a suggestion. Anderson Hardwood Floors is worldwide and based in South Carolina. www.andersonfloors.com They make a wonderful engineered product (and solid too). I have a mix of hand-scaped hickory, planed smooth Hickory and Pine in different areas. The pine is too soft and showing wear and tear in the office (no dogs). The hand-scraped hickory in game room is by far the best for wear and tear. The hardness of the hickory (2300 psi) is perfect for claws and the hand-scraped finish is forgiving. Easy to clean with Murphy's Oil Soap and water.

These pre-finished T&G boards are 42" long and up to 7.5" wide. Beveled edges and T&G on all sides. Once concrete slab is sealed, use "Duck Glue" (a brand) to directly attach to the slab without needing furring strips. No shrinkage or movement after installation and tight joints. If boards need to be cut out and replaced, it is fairly easy.

Wide range of colors, species and finishes. Much better than the Pergo and other prefinished stuff on the market. Good Luck.
http://www.amestile.com/section.asp?pageid=12917

This is what I am going with, I am also heating a section for the dogs bed area. What can I say I love my dogs. :-)
That looks like interresting stuff...good luck. So let me get this right...it's made to look like hardwood with the long planks, but it's actually stone?
That's some cool stuff! :o)

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service