The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

I have a past homeowner that has posed an interesting question, and I am hoping the folks on this blog spot can help. During the winter months these guys built a fire to help keep things warm. However, the flue was stuck shut and they had a lot of smoke build up inside the house. Even though they have taken care of the physical damage, they still have the smokey smell lingering throughout the house. Does anyone out there have any ideas on "airing" out the home and getting rid of the "campfire" smell. Your help is deeply appreciated.

Views: 2073

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's a nice smell if you ask me. As long as you didn't get curtains or carpets or some kind of plastic burning, you can't complain much. Just wait for some time to go by and all the cooking and laundry smells will blend in to make up that homey smell you know to be home.

For fire damaged homes there is a sealing paint they is use over smoke damaged areas as an attempt to get rid of the smell. I had to repair a log home after a fire that burned the whole inside of the home. The refrigerator was a pile of melted ooze on the floor afterwords. Outside the house, you couldn't tell there was a fire. But inside, the logs were all charred about an inch deep. What we did was, scrape all the charcoal off the log walls, wash them down and then paint this smoke sealing paint over all the logs inside. It was the only way to get rid of the smoke smell. Then, we furred out the walls with 2x4 inside to cover the logs, rewired, re plumbed, re trimmed and finished walls and put on a new roof. It came out very lovely as we used a county cottage theme inside.

A normal stick frame home would not have withstood that kind of heat without burning to the ground before the fire trucks got there. Another benefit for building with logs, it takes a long time to actually burn a log home to the ground. Kind of a strange benefit but there it is. The firemen were amazed.
I don't know if this will help but when my wife burns something in the house and it smells like smoke.I spray freebreeze on the curtains and chairs or anything with cloth and the smell goes away in about
2 days,you might have to repeat it next day.Hope this helps.
Hi Rob,

I am hoping this will help! It is a product proffesional's use and it is called APC-120 Multi-Purpose cleaning concentrate. Its a deodorinzing cleaner. If is safe for washing walls, woodwork, windows, carpets, and furniture. Winsol APC-120 Cleaner. The website is www.winsol.com/smoke-prods.htm or 1-800-782-5501.

I hope this will help you!!

Kelly
Thank you for the great tips and ideas. I was sure there was something on the market that was used for this type of damage. You guys are great!!
Then, our trained professionals will clean the soot damage to restore your home to its former condition. Our skilled professionals will take the time to be thorough and careful. Our process is designed to help restore your home and prevent further damage az water damage restoration.
Being with the volunteer fire dept here in PA, for a small
donation, we would take our deoderizer out and run it.
It takes the smell out. It doesn't take long and if you live
where the firefighters are volunteers, they make a little money
for the company also.

Tami
Hey Rob,

The "ServiceMaster" folks use baking soda blasting and these large ion type air filtering machines to eliminate the smell. We had a similar insurance claim a few years ago and the local professionals did a great job. If too late for insurance deductible, you might be able to rent one of these air purifying machines.
Well, I hope you've been able to fix the problem by now, but if not...The most important thing is to remove every bit of soot. Depending on the amount of soot/char, this may be as "easy" as a very thorough cleaning. When I say thorough, I mean clean every nook and cranny (use q-tips to get into the corners). If there is actually charred wood, the char must be removed and/or sealed. As far as removing charred wood, either soda blasting or cob blasting are viable options. However, it doesn't sound like the damage is that extensive. Hope this helps.

-Jason
www.cobblastmaster.com
I appreciate everyone's tips. I have passed these, and others, along to my homeowners and told them about this site. Ya'll are great. Good luck on your projects, and let me know if I can ever be of any assistance.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service