The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Hey everyone,

we purchased a log home built in the mid 80’s. Logs are “D” logs and the interior is stained dark brown which makes the whole interior very dark.   We love the plain clear coat natural look and not interested in sanding everything and dealing with the mess, not to mention the un-evenness of the finished look.  Has anyone put 1x8 tongue and groove boards directly over their logs on the interior side ?  I know this will be more expensive than sanding.  Any advice ?

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've never done but I do not see a problem with it being that your home is 35 years old or so, settlement is not an issue at this point, there is an alternative that you might look into and that is CO'2 blasting, google it , it is a very clean way of removing old finishes on wood and leaves minimal clean up 

We’re new to log home living, thought I would share what we did with our cabin. We had a similar problem with extremely dark interior. We only had small track light in the kitchen which was not enough light the entire open concept kitchen/living with cathedral ceilings. We ended up replacing the old track with one expanding the entire length of the kitchen sloped ceiling (12feet). Specifically, 7 total LED WAC Lighting H-7011-930 and H-7030-930 lights purchased from Lighting New York. Customer service was fabulous in helping me all the correct parts. The “stronger” lights are aimed at various parts of the dark ceilings and walls, with downlighting into the kitchen cabinets and table. The track and lights are small and are not a visible eyesore. I like that I can expand in the future and move them around as needed. New York Lighting was 1/3 of the price of my local lighting store with good customer service. The wait time was long though...but in the end I was very happy. 

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service