The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

How do I vent my dryer?? Not straight through the wall..please!  Also, bathroom venting???

Views: 2453

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thank you for replying! bathroom in master bath, first floor;additional 1/2 bathroom in same room as dryer on first floor. bathroom on 2nd floor.
We vented the 1st floor dryer through the box sill sitting on the foundation. The 1st and 2nd floor bathrooms were vented by cutting a hole through the solid log wall -- done all the time!
Good luck with your project.
Regards, Norb
THANK YOU! i think drilling through wall is the way to go! thanks again for sharing
Victoria, Really?? You are not venting the bathrooms through the roof?? I have not heard of such a thing and I doubt any plumber would do the install......But I am not a plumber so what do I know?
Honestly, we are doing all of this ourselves! I just think of questions and post them! Forgot about the plumbing aspect! feel kind of dumb now!atleast i have a place to go to ask questions, even if they are dumb!! hhahaaa
I have to agree with Tim. Bathrooms that are vented through walls are against plumbing codes in our area. I suggest you check your local plumbing codes before you consider doing this.
The plumbing is vented through a stack pipe through the roof. The bathroom vent fan which removes moisture from the room is vented through the ceiling and over to the nearest wall. Hope this clears up the confusion about WHAT is vented WHERE.
YES! THANKS !! STILL FEELING DUMB
the dryer vent ,down into basement then out the sill or between the floor joist ,hit it with a 4 inch hole saw (drill bit) after the sidding is applied so that is cut to.
The plumbing system also has a vent to allow air into the system so water can flow out.That will go out the roof.
The bathroom vent (fart fan) will carrie some mousture outside. there is a posibility of condensensation build up witch will leak and frezee in the winter.
For this reason the vent pipe should have a sag in it(where there is no seam) to hold water. So it dosen't run back on the fan or drip out side or inside.
Hope this helps....
Victoria,
Much of what you need to know is available on the Net but you must also know what your building codes call for if they exist. The county may require a plumber to sign off on your DIY job.

A log home does have some unique problems due to settling allowances. You don't say if your home is going to be 2 floors, if so, you may have to allow for log settling as it effects the pipes running to the second floor and may require commercial slip joints in the waste pipe and water feed pipes. Hopefully the very experienced log home people in this blog will jump in at this point with advice. I believe if you use flexible piping like Pex, for the hot and cold water then you can allow for settling in the placing of these pipes. I personally would make sure that you use pressure equalizing shower controls to avoid getting burned when someone flushes the toilet.

The experienced log home builders might also want to address how they deal with the roof vent pipe and the settling issue.

It's not a bad idea to build in short, anti hammer, extensions at the point where the PVC water feed pipes go through the wall to the fixture. Instead of a right elbow you put in a T with a short vertical pipe about 12 to 18 inches going up with a permanent cap on it. Air is trapped there and absorbs pulses from your water supply so you don't hear a knocking noise. Pex tubing may not need this.

Joe

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service