The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Well, we have our driveway in, lot cleared and septic in place.  the well goes in the week of the 19th.  The plans have been selected and modified. We hope to have our construction loan in place late next spring to break ground. This will be a vacation home until 2015 when DS 14 will graduate high school.  We are trying to trim expenses and are wondering if anyone out there knows of mortgage companies allowing owner finishing these days. We need dry-in and staining, HVAC, plumbing and electric.  We have remodeled ourselves and are adept at installing finish fixtures, cabinets and drywall (not that we will have it here).  I know the market is rough and I've heard that most banks (rumor??) will only finance for a finished turnkey product, and no owner DIY finishing.  Any info or advice out there? Thanks in advance

Views: 372

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Penny.....I saw your question a week or so ago. I'm careful what info I offer on this site. I believe your  lot is approx 20 or so miles from where I built two summers ago. I'm in Pipers Gap between Galax and Fancy Gap. I know quite a few contacts from VA & NC that I use regularly. Did I understand you decided on Northeastern? What type of sq. ft. are you planning on?  Scott
I am currently building my own log home. We are using  Normandy Bank in Rochester, NY

Hi Penny

A lot depends on your relationship with your bank/banker. I went the route you chose to finish and do some of the work myself amd by my family. I was to be done in one year and then convert to a mortgage. I did not finish but a substantial amount of work was complete. I also kept my banker in the loop every step of the way with progress reports and photos for the loan commitee. This was very well recieved and when the year was up they felt confortable enough to convert to a morgage. I had good banking relationships at home but I chose to develope a relationship with a local bank in the area where I was building. That prooved to be a good strategy.

Good luck

MARK 

RSS

© 2020   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service