The coziest spot in your home isn't complete without these essentials.
1. Some privacy. How can you escape with your favorite page-turner if you're right in the middle of your main living space? Keep your reading nook separate from the rest of the house by tucking it into another quiet space, like this closed-off office or a seldom-used guest room. Photo by Roger Wade.
2. Plenty of light. Whether your nook comes complete with a large window or is tucked in beneath well-placed sconces like the ones shown here, light is an essential element for a comfy reading space. Photo by Roger Wade.
3. A cozy feel. No matter where you position your private reading space, bump up the cozy factor with soft upholstery, throw blankets and even a slanted ceiling for a more closed-in feel. Photo courtesy of Timberbuilt.
4. Room to relax. Maybe you don't have room for a full daybed, but make sure there's somewhere to rest your feet. We love the idea of an extra-long window seat to provide plenty of space to stretch out.
5. A roaring fire. Nothing says "cozy" quite like a fireside reading spot. Position your chairs toward the hearth, so you can take in the fire while taking a break from your book.
6. A little table for your coffee. A reading area without space for a mug of tea (or — let's be real — a glass of wine) can hardly be called cozy. You don't need to go big here: A small table will suffice, like in this cozy loft space.