The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

Is there any easy ways to find air leaks in a log home? Is there any special equipment that must be used? I am tired of very high electric bills this winter.
Thanks Sharon

Views: 87


You need to be a member of The Log Home Neighborhood to add comments!

Join The Log Home Neighborhood

Comment by Joe on April 5, 2010 at 1:31pm
If you want to make this a DIY project you can buy a fairly inexpensive IR thermal meter that really work well in measuring temperatures. I have used them on measuring A/C outlet temperatures. I would suggest talking with the company first to make sure it would work as needed on log home air leaks. The following is one of several meters that sell for under $100. I would expect that using these on the inside of the home to pickup cold air coming in would work very well.

Comment by CharisB on April 5, 2010 at 12:00pm
Sharon - You can try the old-fashioned smoke trick: light a candle or match, blow it out &, near where you're feeling the air leaks, see which way the smoke moves. This is a very crude way of trying to find leaks and will work if you only have a few.

But if you're having major problems (which your post suggests), the best thing to do is to have someone perform a thermographic survey on your home. A contractor comes in with an infrared camera that helps detect differences in temperature. Those pictures will tell you the real story. Once that survey is complete and you have results and recommendations, you can then move forward with fixing things.

Of course, if you haven't done it already, and before you have a thermographic survey done, make sure you've sealed everywhere obvious: large checks and cracks, corners, anywhere you can see day light coming through joints, etc. but if you've already sealed the heck out of your home and are still having issues, you should probably have the thermographic survey done. Good news: you can now get a tax credit for caulking your home! 30% of the product cost (not labor, sorry) is eligible for a tax credit. That should help a bit with the cost. And be sure to check your local state and city laws, as well as your energy company. Many will provide you with additional credits on your bill or taxes for making your home more energy efficient or for simply having the thermographic survey done.

If you need names of people who can perform this survey for you, please feel free to email me at I'm happy to direct you to some good contractors who do this kind of survey.

Thanks! Happy leak-finding! -- Charis w/ Sashco
Comment by Greg SWEETS on April 5, 2010 at 11:53am
Sharon you can call Paul at 615-662-8866 office.He can help you out with your problem.Thanks

© 2021   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service