Well, another month has gone by since our last update, and we've made a bunch of progress again. At times, it seems like we haven't made any progress, but we really have when it comes right down to it. Sorry for the delay in the posting, but times flies by when all you do is work and work!
We've done a bunch of staining. We have 4 coats on the top half of the house and 3 coats on the lower portion. We decided that once the metal roof is on, it's going to be very difficult to stain the dormers and the other higher portions. It was difficult enough without the roof to get the sides of the dormers due to the large overhangs on the roof and the steep pitch. When it was all said and done, it looks pretty good. Hopefully our good base coat will get us a couple of good years out of the stain before we need to do any major touch up.
We also started buying a bunch of supplies for the electrical, plumbing and heating systems. We decided to go with a Viega manifold system for the potable water supply and run an independent line to every fixture. Right now, we have about 1,000 feet of waterlines stretched throughout the house with a few more to go. It's been a little piece mill at the moment waiting for parts to come in, but we finally have everything we need, so hopefully this weekend we can get it pretty much finalized and in place.
We picked up our boiler and water tank, and all the remaining items for the heating system were delivered. We ended up with several skids of materials, as we decided to do radiant heat on the first floor of the house. Rather than hang it under the subfloor, we are going with an aluminum panel system which sits on top of the subfloor and the tubing snaps into grooves on the panels. We decided this would make the installation of future wood floor easier, as we'll be able to see all the tubing as we are laying the floor, as opposed to wondering where the lines are under the subfloor. We hope to get the boiler hung soon (yes, it hangs on the wall) and start getting some of the other hardware mounted.
Unfortunately, we are still waiting to get the metal roof on. Things have been pretty much dried in for a few weeks now, but we are delayed from really getting moving inside until the roof is on. In preparation for the roof, we started staining the paneling for ceilings. While we only have a couple of hours into it, we hope to make a bunch of progress this weekend. We have a huge trailer full of wood (3 skids, 8, 12 and 16, in length) that needs stained and the builder mentioned he needs to bring more still! Yikes! We also got the trim for the outside of the windows painted and it's ready to be hung. That only leaves us with about 1,800 linear feet of interior trim to stain, plus all that old wood we got last year for the window and door trim.
We've also made some other progress on a few more items. We have the majority of the electrical fixtures on hand and started getting some of them hung. We also met with a local carpenter and he came up with a really great plan for the kitchen. We are pretty much set on having him build our cabinets, so hopefully he can fit us into his schedule. We've spent a little time looking at fireplaces and think we've come up with the one we want, but we haven't ordered it yet. It just seems every time you turn around, there is something else you need to do or something to think about it. We just hope we don't overlook something!
The goal is a Christmas move in, so we have lots to accomplish the next couple of months. Hopefully we can get everything accomplished. We are at the point now where the majority of the work is coming down on us, but we are up for the challenge. Stop by and say hi, as we are always there in the evenings and weekends! Take care.