Spring has sprung and so has our action. So much has happened since our last post a month ago. We now have power, they set the pole, the electrician set our panel box. Once it was inspected, we got our cut-in card sent in and the power company showed up the next day. Right now, our meter has all zero's on it. Too bad that won't last!
We've also spent a lot of time in the basement. We got things leveled out, got the floor drains all in place and got setup for our radiant tubing. It involved a laying a base of stone down. We then utilized a product called insul-tarp, which is a type of insulation. It's a double bubble product, much like the bubble wrap used for packing. It has a series of bubbles, tarp on the front and back, once side is black, the other is white. On the inside, it is silver reflective and has some other foam and goodies in it. It will also serve as our vapor barrier for our radon mitigation system.
Once that was down, we then used concrete wire mesh to tie all the radiant tubing to it. We laid out 2 different zones in the basement for the heat, and used about 1500 feet of tubing. By the end of the weekend, my fingers were wore out, first from tying all the wire together, then from pulling zip ties to tie the tubing to the mesh.
Then, we poured 20 yards of concrete. The first truck showed up about 8 AM and the second after the first was empty. All the concrete was down by 11 AM. We had a little extra, so we poured a nice pad in front of the shed, rather than wasting it. It took all day before the concrete was finally ready for the final working. It was about 7:30 that night before they could do the final touches on the floor.
We started back filling the foundation, and hope to finish that and get most of our grading done this week. We hope the weather will cooperate though!
The most exciting part though, is the logs are in and the builder started cutting them in his shop last week. He's going to begin delivering them and some other materials this week. We anticipate him starting late this week or next week. Once he's on site, things will really start moving along.
Amber might argue the exciting part, since we planted her peanut patch today! Not sure how well they are going to grow in our climate, but we are going to try our best. They require 120 days and that is going to push us into late September, early October. Hope it's a warm summer and fall! We also planted some birdhouse gourds and two butterfly bushes!
Take a minute and check out our pictures! We've posted a bunch today of all that has happened lately! There are also a couple good ones of Colby. He's been heating up lately since it's been warm. He got to take his first swim yesterday for the season. He jumped right and went to town. I think he'd swim for hours if we'd let him. He was definitely made for the water!
We'll do our best to keep you all posted, but we've found out it's hard to keep up on the work and still have a few minutes to jump on the computer! Can't wait for everyone to come check things out, we haven’t had many visitors yet! We're planning on having a muddy boot party once the shell is up!