The Log Home Neighborhood

An online log home community for log home enthusiasts.

My cabinet/furniture maker has advised us to look into Waterlox tung oil (http://www.waterlox.com/) for the interior of our logs. He says it is expensive and labor-intensive to apply, but that the results and longevity are worth it. He has never worked with a log house before. I have seen the results on the floors in his own house, and they show impressive wear after over a decade of use (with a big dog wandering around).

Does anyone have any experience with this product? Thanks!

Views: 283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

expensive and labour intensive does not sound good unless there is a great benefit. Log walls have virtually no wear. You don't walk on them.

Bob Warren
Khita Log Builders Ltd.
www.khita.com
I agree about walking on walls -- something I try to avoid most days. For the floor application, he uses four coats, which would be overkill for me. He really, really likes wood. I can probably get by with two coats, which will help both the cost and the labor. It is a relatively small cabin, which will also help. I would probably go with a different treatment for the ceiling, which is just cheap pine boards. Are you suggesting that I leave the wood bare and not treat it with anything?

Thanks for commenting!

John
No not at all. You should put on some sort of finish. There are lots of interior log finishes available that are easy to use and relatively inexpensive that will do the job.

Bob Warren
Khita Log Builders Ltd.
www.khita.com
OK, thanks, I understand. I am looking for an environmentally friendly solution that also looks good, which is why I am attracted to the tung oil. I'll look around to see what else I can find.

John
Hi John,
I work for Perma-Chink Systems. If you would like to check out our Lifeline Interior products and get some free samples sent to you, you can check out pcsproducts.com. Our products are some of the most environmentally friendly products out there. You can work on finishing your rooms while still living in the home and you will not smell anything and shouldn't have any issues. What's nice is that they are water based so you will not have to put up with a tackiness or a stench while working on your project. If you have any questions feel free to email me on here or at kevin@permachink.com. Good luck!
- Kevin

RSS

© 2021   Created by Neighborhood Host.   Powered by

Guide to Log Homes | Advertise | Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service